The North Union Shakers lived on 1,393 acres of land in northeastern Ohio’s Connecticut Western Reserve from 1822 to 1889. They called their land “The Valley of God’s Pleasure.” The North Union Shaker Village, located just eight miles east of Cleveland, was destined to become the garden city known as Shaker Heights, Ohio.
This is the story of two married couples who were members of the North Union Shaker Community. The first couple was Ralph and Laura Russell; they represent the beginning of North Union Village. The second couple was John and Maria Pilot; they represent the end of North Union.