Planning is underway by the Pigeon Historical Society to relocate and restore two cabins originally located in the Christian German Agricultural and Benevolent Society of Ora et Labora. The colony was located near the tip of Michigan’s Thumb on Wild Fowl Bay just north of present-day Bay Port in McKinley Township. The community lasted from 1861 until 1871. At its height, the colony had over 288 German-speaking residents and about seventy-five buildings and structures.
American Communal Societies Quarterly
Available for download on Saturday, April 01, 2023